Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Daycare Infractions

I'm so thankful for the great daycare center that I have. E loves it there. Has a really good time and has learned so much. A neighbor mom and I were out last night so the kids could play before supper. She asked me what I thought of a punishment that her home daycare had implemented on her 2yo daughter. Apparently little girl had two seperate incidences on two seperate days.
The first incident was she was talking during naptime (which happens to be about noon I guess). The second incident was because the little girl was taking toys from the other kids (we think it was in the morning, mom was going to call daycare to get more specific details). Both times the punishment was that the little girl could not play on the swings when they went outside for the rest of the day. Like most kids, she loves the swings and would happily swing there for hours. Apparently this home daycare also periodically wraps the swings up so no one can play on them forcing them to find some other outlet for their energy, i.e. run around and get some energy out.

I can understand putting the swings up so no one can use them, but to not let a 2 yo use them for the rest of the day for minor infractions seems a little harsh. Both mom and I think a more appropriate punishment would be a time out and be done with it until the next infraction occurs. Infractions that occur inside the house should be taken care of inside the house and not carry over to outside time, especially if it happened over an hour before going outside. Distract and redirect seem to be more appropriate punishments.

I also think noon is a bit early for an afternoon nap. I'm not sure if that's the actual time, but that's what mom relayed to me. My daycare center has afternoon naps starting about 1pm. No earlier than 12:30 unless absolutely necessary. Then naptime is over by 3pm. In the toddler room, E definitely napped those full 2 hours most times. Now in the preschool room, she only naps for about an hour to 1.5 hours generally. I know every place is different, but something is off at this place. This isn't the first time mom's mentioned something about the daycare, but this time definitely caught my attention.

The little girl was certainly feeling out of sorts last night. She didn't even want to play on her new swing at home (I say new becuase they got it a couple weeks ago). E was of course on it and that's all she wanted to do, but little girl was definitely quiet and not herself. She finally snapped out of it, but then it was time to go in for supper so she really didn't play much outside. Hopefully her babysitter took her out after supper to play some more.

I hope mom called and got more information and that they came to some sort of agreement on the proper punishments for these types of infractions. It just seemed a bit extreme to me so hopefully they work it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Safe Winter Jacket Use in Carseats

To keep our babies safe, use the thinnest jacket possible under the carseat straps or zip the jacket over the straps. Check out Car-Seat.Org for more info.