Wednesday, September 9, 2009

First Day of School...

This has been one long day...

What a start we had today. Getting ready for work as usual,then making sure J is awake and getting ready on her first day of school. Everything is fine and dandy until I tell her she needs to come up and get something to eat. She then proceeds to tell me that she is getting a ride to school with the neighbor boy and his mother. She never asked me. She never mentioned it to me. Apparently she mentioned it to Dad a few minutes earlier, but he didn't approve either.
She waited until the last possible minute, and if I hadn't brought her upstairs she probably never would have told me at all. So needless to say it was a big bruhaha and lots of yelling and tears becuase she thinks that just becuase I said no that I made Dad say no because "he does everything you say." I find that phrase so funny. He doesn't do anything I say. Most of the time we are on the same page about things, but sometimes I have to put my foot down in order to make sure that I am not over run in this household.

To top it all off the bus schedule they sent out was very wrong. The bus came 12 minutes early today and J missed it, not her fault. So I ended up driving her to school which made me late for work. Of course I could have given in and let the neighbor take her, but I wasn't giving her what she wanted when she was the one that screwed up in the first place. All she has to do is ask properly and not just expect us to do what she says at her whim. We are the parents, not her.

We rarely say no to most things she asks for, but we do ask for common courtesy that she ask properly and in a timely manner. 5 minutes before she walks out the door is not a good time and the answer is automatically no. Tough. Too bad. Sucks to be you. That's the way it ends up. You don't like it, plan ahead next time. If you forgot, you deal with the consequences. How else is she going to learn? Just like tonight, she tells me she is out of conditioner (I just bought the bottle less than 2 weeks ago!). She thought we were just going to run up to the store and get more now. We don't have any spare money until payday so we have to make do with what we have at the house. So she has to use some old conditioner that she doesn't like until we get more. It's all about accountability and responsibility.

I am so thankful that I will have a major say in how E is raised and "trained." Kids will be kids but how they are raised makes a huge difference in how they behave and what kind of people they become. If they are never given chores and responsibility, how are they going to learn to be accountable for anything? If they are never taught basic hygeine as a part of their routine, it makes it that much harder when they are older. You shouldn't have to stand over them every-single-day to ensure that they brush their teeth or take a shower or put on deodorant. J has gotten better about these things, but it took a long long time.

And thanks to me hiding bath towels J has learned to hang up her towels and reuse them for the week instead of two new towels every single time she took a shower. Got old real quick. Often hubby and I would have to find all the towels and wash them before we could get fresh towels, because they were all on the floor in her room or her bathroom. Again I don't know how hard it was to hang up a towel properly so it would dry and you can use it again. All stuff her mother never enforced. Basic things most people automatically do because it makes sense, we have had to teach her and suffer through the process becuase her mother didn't do the training the first time.

Anyway, off that tangent. The rest of the evening turned out well enough. E is growing and changing and developing, something new everyday. She is 21 months old and the vocabulary is forming day by day. She now calls the cats by name. Maybe is Mabers (nickname), Simon is Moe (Si Moe). Somehow jumping on the trampoline is also Moe. But tonight she wanted me to sit next to her on the chair or on the floor and color with her. She would pat the floor and say "Momma, Momma, Momma" until I acknowledged her and sat next to her. She even has been requesting a bath the last couple of nights, but we are still on a weekly schedule so she has to wait another couple days, but she did say Bath. She knew what she wanted. She even wanted Bubble in her bath. Little stinker! It's scary crazy how smart they can be. She knows exactly what the remote is used for and soon will figure out how to turn her shows on without us!

Two kids- One eager to please and willing to do what we ask (sort of) and the other thinks adults are idiots and have no idea what we are talking about. Both so different. It will be a long few years unless Hubby gets a job that enables him to be home every night. One can only hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Safe Winter Jacket Use in Carseats

To keep our babies safe, use the thinnest jacket possible under the carseat straps or zip the jacket over the straps. Check out Car-Seat.Org for more info.