Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I Told You So...?

I wasn't wrong, but I wasn't right either....

I find it hard to not say I told you so a lot, because even though you don't like what I have to say, I am not always wrong and actually things might be easier if you listen to me once in a while. I do have life experiences that help me to know better how to handle things and what needs to get done.


J had her first cross-country practice today and got a reality check into what competitive running is all about. It definitely is not the same as jogging with a friend through the woods, streets, etc. There will be someone pushing you to run faster and harder than you have ever ran before. I remember that from my basic training days. I had to run through a lot of pain whether I wanted to or not. The difference was I was 20 and had some common sense to get me through. At 13 years old, J thinks we (parents) have no clue, when she does not understand that we have life experiences that relate to what she is going through. We are telling her what's best for her because we care and want her to do the best she can with as little difficulty as possible.

We are pushing her to eat properly, drink water, and stretch, and maintain a good schedule so that things will be easy as possible on her. She won't listen to me, she barely listens to her father, but I refuse to let her just fall on her face and figure it out on her own. I am the one who has to pick her up if that were to happen so it does affect me in more ways than one. If she were to pass out a practice because she wasn't eating or drinking properly because we are not there to force her, it does come down on me (when hubby isn't home). I would have to leave work to pick her up and make sure everything was all right. At 13 years old she needs to take some responsibility and think about what she needs to do to succeed not only at cross county but in school as well.

This school year will be hard for her because cross county practice is M-F from 3:15 - 5:15. When I pick her up from school and get her home and fed supper, she has to shower and get her homework done (done properly). She says she understands that there will be nights where she won't get to see her friends, because she has to get her homework done first before she can do the fun stuff she wants to do. She says she understands all this, but until it actually happens, she doesn’t have a clue.

I wrote all this a couple days ago after J's first cross country practice. I shouldn't be negative, but sometimes that is the first thing that comes to mind. A big fat I told you so. Hubby has mainly done the parenting on this one as J will listen to him better than me when it comes to these things. Last night at supper J and I had a decent conversation about practice and what's going on. She was napping when I got home so I know it is starting to catch up with her a bit.

She seems to like cross country a lot and realizes that it isn't as easy as she thought it would be. She had a good friend that is in it who is like her in the sense that she doesn't want to fail and definitely won't be last. Very competitive and willing to work hard (so far). J was telling me at supper last night the different places they have been running and about the hill by Coborn's Superstore, and how there are a few girls in practice that only walk "because they are 'exhausted'." She is already realizing that there are some people who won't put out any effort if they don't have to.

I can't wait for school to start so that a good steady schedule can be started. I know hubby worries (mostly needlessly) about J and her getting to school for practice since we are not home to take her. He is so scared of her biking two miles to school and someone possibly taking her. Thank god I don't have anxiety like that. He worries too much about the bad what ifs. What if someone takes her? What if she gets sick? What if...? The list goes on and on. I know he is scared to let her grow up and become more independent. He planned for her to ride her bike to school for practices, but when the time comes for her to do it, he is worried sick even though they have done the route 3 different times. Thankfully she has been able to get a ride with her friends and hasn't had to take her bike. What will he do when she gets her license and asks to take the car out? I hope he can get over some of this anxiety by the time E is old enough to make him worry about boys, driving, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Safe Winter Jacket Use in Carseats

To keep our babies safe, use the thinnest jacket possible under the carseat straps or zip the jacket over the straps. Check out Car-Seat.Org for more info.