Monday, August 17, 2009

Our Heathen Felines (aka Our Pets)

Our Pets?
We have 4 cats. All of them are rescues of some sort. Three (Maybe, Simon, Lily) were obtained from the Humane Society and one (Pitter) was rescued from my porch in the dead of winter when I was in college.

Pitter belonged to the neighbors in the basement of the house I lived in while I was in college. She was allowed to stay outside overnight with no shelter. After almost a month of me feeding her and providing her with warm water and shelter on my porch, she decided she was going to come inside and has never left. I had her for over a month before they even noticed that she was gone. They saw her one day in the window and were a little upset, but I told them that if they weren't going to take care of her in the dead of winter, then they didn't deserve her. It takes her a long time to warm up to strangers. It took her almost a year before she decided that life doesn't start at 10:00 at night. Now she come out often during the day and early evening hours. She is great around other animals as well as my little girl.

Maybe is the talker in the group. She is very much a people cat. She is always around even when there are strangers in the house. My mother found her for me when I was in college. She asked me if I wanted a talkative kitten. Little did I know how talkative she was. After a month of having her, I had to get another kitten (Placebo) for her to interact with. When she was left alone, every time I left the house or came back, I would get the 20 question drill as to where I was and why I wasn't home with her. It was much better when she had another kitten to interact with.

Simon and Lily were adopted together after my other cat, Placebo, had to be put to sleep. We went there looking for just one, namely Lily, but Simon was such a cuddle bug (Big Faker) that we adopted both of them. They were almost full grown. Lily is the reincarnation of Placebo (the one I lost), same coloring and later on the same weird personality. Simon has turned out the be the big pain in the butt for the other cats. He likes to try to bully them around, mainly because he is a really big cat.

They are all pretty good around other people and around other pets, mainly dogs. They all also tolerate E so well, especially when she tries to lay on them and just hold them down. We have taught her how to be gentle with them, but there are times when she just wants to lay on them until I make her get off. Crazy kid...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Safe Winter Jacket Use in Carseats

To keep our babies safe, use the thinnest jacket possible under the carseat straps or zip the jacket over the straps. Check out Car-Seat.Org for more info.